So a lot of people have been asking about Minecraft 1.6 again, or “how’s MultiMC going”, and other questions I answer about 256 times every day, so I figured I’d post another update here and answer everyone at the same time (hopefully).
The current situation
So what is going on? Why isn’t it done yet?
- I am currently not working on the project, but some of the awesome folks from the IRC channel (namely, peterix and TakSuyu) have picked it up and started working on it.
- Minecraft 1.6 support will not be added in MultiMC 4. There are far too many complications and doing so would be hacky and messy. If any crazy C++ developers would like to take a stab at 1.6 in v4, be my guest, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- Instead, MultiMC 5 is being worked on, and we’re going to release it when it’s ready with support for Minecraft 1.6.
- Unfortunately, development isn’t moving along too quickly, but we’ll get there eventually.
With that out of the way, there are a few more things I have to say…
- No, I can not and will not give you an ETA. Do not ask me, because I don’t know. Don’t ask the people on IRC either, they don’t care to estimate how long it will take and will probably just kick you from the channel for asking about it. You’ve been warned.
- No, Mojang is not intentionally making this difficult for us (at least not completely). A lot of the changes they’ve made are things that should have been there in the first place. Unfortunately, MultiMC was never written to handle these things. Here are just a few of the problems we face:
- The Minecraft client no longer downloads its own resources, such as sounds. It expects the launcher to do it. It should have been like this in the first place, but it wasn’t. Making MultiMC 4 download resources would be crazy and hacky. This is one of the reasons we’re not doing this for MultiMC 4.
- Login protocols are changing. I haven’t looked much into it, so I don’t really know much about this one.
- The way the game launches is completely different. Unfortunately this one is going to be an issue whether we implement this in MultiMC 4 or 5. They’re both using the same launch code, so we’re going to have to add some more crazy compatibility code to support both 1.6 and all the different broken crap in previous versions.
- There are also several other issues, but I’m going to leave it at that for now.
- I am not abandoning this project. At least not completely. For the moment, I’ve simply lost my motivation to work on MultiMC. I may go back to it later or I may not. Although I am not currently actively developing it, however, I will still be handling the distribution of MultiMC. I’ll still be the one setting up all the annoying build server stuff and getting things there working properly. Builds will still be done on ci.forkk.net and you’ll download it and get updates from the same places as before.
- The awesome, awesome guys from the IRC channel who are currently working on it now are pretty damn good at what they do, so the project is certainly in good hands.
Anyways, thanks for being patient, guys, I’m very sorry about the wait, hopefully MultiMC 5 will be worth it. In the meantime, you can use that crazy Java thingy that Mojang calls a launcher. It can’t be that bad, right?
If you have questions, you can ask in the comments section below. Please just try and make sure you’re not asking something that’s already been answered.